11 Interesting Facts ahead of the 2021 Copa America Final
The classic match will be presented in the 2021 Copa America final. The two rulers of Latin America, Argentina, and Brazil compete against each other at the Maracana Stadium, Sunday (11/7) at 05.30 IST.
Argentina and Brazil carry different missions. Argentina has ambitions to end its title drought in this event. The last time the Albiceleste emerged as champions were in the 1993 edition or almost three decades ago.
On the other hand, Brazil is the defending champion. Defending the trophy won two years ago is the Selecao's target.
Here are interesting facts about the 2021 Copa America final, Argentina against Brazil.
1. Since 2001, Brazil has never lost in the knockout stages of Copa America. The Selecao have won seven and drawn six.
2. Brazil always goes to the final when it hosts Copa America.
3. This is Brazil's sixth final when playing at home. On five previous occasions, the Selecao have been championed.
4. Since 1993, Argentina will appear in the sixth final of the Copa America. So far this will be La Albiceleste's third match against Brazil.
5. On the previous two occasions, Argentina has always lost. Namely in the finals of 2004 and 2007.
6. Brazil and Argentina have met 10 times in the Copa America final. Argentina won eight wins.
7. Lionel Messi has scored five goals against Brazil. The second most after Ecuador (six goals).
8. Pele is the all-time leading goalscorer against Argentina with eight goals.
9. Argentina is unbeaten in 19 consecutive matches in various competitions.
10. Brazil is the last opponent to overthrow Argentina. It happened in the semifinals of Copa America two years ago.
11. Argentina hasn't won a major tournament since 1993.