The ultimate matchEuro 2020will be served. Italy faces England, in the Euro 2020 final match at Wembley Stadium, Sunday (11/7) local time or Monday (12/7) at midnight IST.
Italy advanced to the final after defeating Spain in a penalty shootout with a score of 4-2 (1-1). Previously Gli Azzurri beat Belgium 2-1 in the quarter-finals.
Then back one game, Italy beat Austria 2-1 in the round of 16 through extra time. This is after Gli Azurri qualified as the leaders of Group A with wins over Turkey (3-0), Switzerland (3-0), and Wales (1-0).
While English became the leader of Group D after wins over Croatia (1-0) and the Czech Republic (1-0), as well as a goalless draw against Scotland. In the round of 16, England eliminated Germany 2-0.
In the quarter-finals, the Three Lions crushed Ukraine 4-0. In the semifinals, England beat Denmark 2-1 in extra time.
Ahead of Italy's match against England, there are some interesting facts presented. Here are interesting facts ahead of Italy against England in the Euro 2020 final:
1. Italy has qualified for the European Cup final for the fourth time. Only Germany has done it more (six times).
2. The Italian national team is unbeaten in 33 matches (27 wins and six draws).
3. Italy is the second team in European Cup history to have five different players who have scored two or more goals in one edition of the tournament (Chiesa, Pessina, Insigne, Immobile and Locatelli).
4. England for the first time in history qualified for the European Cup final. Their previous best achievement was only semifinalists in the 1996 edition when they hosted.
5. Jordan Pickford managed to break the record as a British goalkeeper with the longest record of not conceding a goal, which is 725 minutes. He surpassed Gordon Banks' record of 720 minutes in 1966.
6. Harry Kane is now England's top scorer in a major tournament (EURO/World Cup) with a collection of 10 goals. But he is not alone because the amount is the same as that collected by Gary Lineker.
7. England won for the first time in the knockout stages of the European Cup from behind first.
8. The Italian and English national teams have met in 27 matches. Gli Azzurri won 11 times . England won eight wins, and eight other matches ended in a draw.
9. Italy has never won in the first eight meetings with England. While England were able to win by a single goal in the last seven games.
10. England have always suffered defeats and were eliminated from the tournament in meetings against Italy in the previous European Cup. Marco Tardelli's goal gave Italy a 1-0 win over England in the 1980 European Cup group stage. Then England lost to Italy on penalties in the 2012 Euro Cup quarter-finals.
11. Italy has never lost to England in a match in the finals of a major tournament. Italy won 2-1 over England in the race for third place at the 1990 World Cup. Then Italy won 2-1 over England in the 2014 World Cup group stage.